Working from home is the internet marketer's dream… Waking up in the morning and grabbing a cup of coffee while still in your pajamas and not to mention no morning traffic. Then jumping on the computer to check your email and sales that happened overnight is the best feeling ever, but this type of stay at home working takes extreme discipline in order to stay effective and focused.
The Myths Associated With Working From Home
When you tell your people that you are working from home, their first image of you is sitting in your underwear and staring at a computer screen. They think that this is just another way of saying that you are on a “temporary vacation.” Most people do not understand how you work from home because it's not a traditional 9-5 job. They can not understand and get even more confused when they see what kind of car you drive and the watch you are wearing. It can be a lucrative career to be an internet marketer but one of the biggest drawbacks to working at home is that personal and work life seems to run together. Learn to avoid this with a touch of restraint and a plan your business roadmap in advance.
Five Tips to Maximize Productivity
1. Know your personality – Do you have the type of personality that is organized and motivated? The situation where you are the boss is more manageable that way. If you tend to procrastinate or get distracted, a more stringent schedule is going to help you keep on task. Everyone is different try different things and see what works for you.
2. Make Your Own Schedule – This isn't a 9-5 job so you don't have to wake up early to start working. You can sleep in and work in the afternoons or even work later. I knew an entrepreneur who swore that he could not work during the day so he worked only late at night and into the early morning hours. Find out when your brain juices are working the best and maximize on them to get the best ideas complete and implemented.
3. Separate your work space – Even if it is just a half of a room where you have your home office, avoid filling your space with anything that is not work related. When you come to this area, you are ready for business and nothing but. Maintain the separation to assist with focusing on the tasks at hand.
4. Take Regular Breaks – In the office, employers are required to give employees a 15-minute break and a lunch period. You should do the same thing even though you are working from home. Sometimes walking away from the computer can help you break up the day. Use that time to attend to small chores, make personal phone calls and rest your brain for a few minutes.
5. Create a task list – Pat Flynn prides himself in not making a to-do list for his days but for the rest of us we have to otherwise we get lost. When you are sitting at your desk is not the time to decide what you will do that day. The last task for each business day is to create a list of needed tasks for the next day. With a definite list of business goals, you are more likely to stay engaged in business for the required time.
Working from home might seem like the dream job but it can quickly turn into a nightmare when control goes out the window so remember these five tips and you too can maximize your day!